Monday, February 27, 2012

Tanks and Frames.....

     Well I guess it is time for the Monday post.    Things have been progressing nicely back in the back yard.  First thing is first you all know that a bunch of aircraft stripper was involved after busting the little thing down into it's component pieces.  Once that was was done, I took the tank and Jason took the frame and we went off on our separate ways for a few days.  I think I got the short end of the stick on this deal since the tank was really hammered.

     So after about three days of stripping paint, checking for holes and pulling dents I finally started getting the thing skim coated with filler.  Now those of you that have done allot of body work know that the lighter the skim the less the problems.  I of course was playing by these rules, so lots of using a dowel and a body hammer to get the thing to resemble straight commenced.

     Here is what it looked like after about 3 skimmed and sanded down coats, still not there but getting closer.

     Yes that looks like allot of filler, well really it is not it is barely 1/16th of a inch thick and it is mostly there to get rid of small ripples.  I really took my time on this tank because I wanted it to be right.  Well Jason did the same thing with the frame.  After stripping and inspection things looked really good.  Most of these old hard tail Z50 K0, K1, and K2's pre 1972 have a real problem with cracking there frames.  Jason got lucky so it got primed and painted while I was working on the tank.  I shot down the hill to check the progress and found the frame looking really nice.

     Of course after seeing the frame looking so sweet I felt like I was lagging behind.   I jumped back on the tank and worked my fingers till they were a bit dried out and sore.  Finally after another few days I had the sucker in three coats of primer and looking dam fine.

     So feeling accomplished I moved onto other things, like collecting parts.  There are many things that are going to be needed for this build.  Tires, rims a engine.  We have not decided what we are going to run in it yet, but we will figure something out.  We have the old CT100 50cc case with gears and stuff.  But no jug, piston, head, or rocker cover.  Granted that old push rod engine will not make it fast or quick, I rather like the idea of using it.  But of course parts are a bit scarce.  Not sure yet, I will update on what we decide next week, or two weeks.   Perhaps keep you all in suspense till the last moment!

     But there is your update for the week, see you all next Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment